Sunday, August 02, 2009

My 5 Favorite Places in Osaka

Every citizen of Osaka has them, right? Mine are...

  1. Umeda Sky Building is easily the coolest-looking edifice in Umeda. I love to goggle at it from the Nagara Bridge while I'm pedaling back from work or while on the train. I attended the German Christmas Market '07 and Aloha Summer Festival '09 events that took place at the 'Skybiru'. My first home in Osaka is also located here, so it is an important landmark representing my neighborhood. It's nice and quiet at night.
  2. Tenjimbashisuji 6-chome is an intersection in Osaka with the longest name. It's a well-used railway station connecting three different lines: Hankyu, Tanimachi, and Sakaisuji. I'm pretty sure it's the station I've used the most in Japan. There are also many good food joints close by, such as Ahoya (takoyaki), Matsuya (domburi), and Burger Wiché (hamburgers). It serves as the main entrance to the 2.6-kilometer long Tenroku Shopping Street, which happens to connect my old apartment and my current one.
  3. Kishibe is where my campus is located. I had my first balls of takoyaki at a small stall next to the JR station. I also spent my first two nights in Osaka at the Kishibe Station Hotel, which is a pleasant hotel despite its less pleasant outer appearance. My classmates and I used to do 500-yen 'unlimited-time' karaoke sessions at Kishibe's Big Echo.
  4. Don Quixote (Miyakojima) is a convenient all-purpose store that's open till 4 a.m. if I recall correctly. When I lived in Minami-Morimachi we used to go there at night with my girlfriend to buy food, navel piercings, and cat toys. Osaka Castle is also nicely visible from the bridge.
  5. Kinokuniya is my favorite shop in Japan. I love books so I enjoy spending time just browsing through the shelves, mostly around section N which has all the English books. It's also a convenient place to kill time if you're waiting for someone—the two most popular meeting spots, BIG MAN and HEP FIVE, are just around the corner.

What are your favorite spots in Osaka?

2 comments:

liath said...

Hoping to come to Osaka in the Spring...I will try to check out these places!

By the way, I just discovered your blog today...I'm so happy, you post really interesting, informative and useful stuff here! I'm adding you to my Regular Reads bookmark folder.
Thanks!

Eric said...

Thank you, liath! There's so much cool stuff in Osaka. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's my favorite city of all times, hands down.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post