Friday, July 24, 2009

How I'm Spending My Day Off in Japan

I have (or had) 24 hours at my disposal, but I'm not feeling very productive at the moment. Sometimes I just want to lay back and listen to the hum of my fridge or feel the breeze of the air-conditioner.

Today is one of those days when I have no plans or appointments whatsoever—just wake up whenever I want, eat when/what I want, do whatever I want (lie inert in bed). Okay, let me break that rule a bit... I'm going to make a plan right now to remain on this futon for the rest of the day. I have next to me a 2-liter bottle of Japanese mineral water, Bram Stoker's Dracula (book), and my cell phone. What else would I need to survive the remaining five hours?

I woke up at 4 p.m. after 13 hours of sleep, checked my email (I got emails from three people: 2 new students and my mom), nuked yesterday's leftovers in the microwave (and ate them), and came back to bed. After writing this post I'm going to email my godmother in London, skim through my favorite blogs, check Twitter, and see how many pages of Dracula I can turn before midnight.

In Japanese, a person cultivating this kind of lifestyle is called a hikikomori (the appropriate kanji for it being 引き籠り according to the Mac dictionary).

What are your plans for your next day off?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post